Blog Summary

Dan Seng's journal of his travels as the 2011 University of Illinois Francis J. Plym Travelling Fellow

Monday, August 8, 2011

BAGSVÆRD KIRKE


With repetitive geometries and solid concrete walls painted stark white, the church has a raw simplicity that isn't exactly inviting. That simplicity aroused a curiosity in me to understand the logic, but it would be easy to drive right by without ever noticing this wonderful building.   
The church is a competition winning design by the Danish architect Jørn Utzon (famous for his design for the Sydney Opera House). The church was built in 1976 and it illustrates his mastery of the trade and his delicate and effective ability to sculpt the soft northern daylight. Though he learned under Wright this project reflects the rigor of Louis Kahn and the grace of Eero Saarinen. 
The entry is from the west and it is the first chance you have to view the inside of the church. I arrived unannounced and found a casket centered in the church and a reluctant care taker willing to let me walk through the interior for 15 minutes before the grieving family started to arrive. He asked me to not take any pictures of the casket. This one photo of the full interior -sans casket- is from Flickr, the others are mine. 
The first impression from the interior is love at first sight. The curves are sensual and soft. They are cast board formed concrete but the light flows over them like cream on a peach. Every space within the church is illuminated from above by clear glass canopies. Rain and gray skies do not impede the day lighting. The painted white walls, white oak doors and white floor allow the light to move freely.  


Despite the lack of visible glazing to the exterior, every occupied space has a view that connects users to nature. The offices peer into lush planted courtyards. Vertical wood slats in the windows filter the direct light. Square openings in the slats provide views from specific areas. 
The underlying richness in the design is the rigorous adherence to the module. When I discovered this I couldn't leave. The care taker found me still snooping around the place after the funeral and invited me back inside to finish what I had started. 
The entire plan and elevation are confined within a 2.5 m3 module (I didn't have a tape on me so correct me if I'm wrong.) The complex fits within a 36x10 module grid. The structural grid, the mullion spacing, the floor patterns and even the pairs of doors are customized to fit precisely within the module. This adherence does not come easily. Everything here has a place and it belongs. This underlying order and simplicity provides an environment for contemplation and serenity. 
I realize that Bagsvaerd Church is off the subject of sustainable urban developments. Within this building however, there is parallel to my research. Utzon harnesses light in a way that makes artificial lighting unnecessary on even gray days. Standing in the space and seeing the light cascading over the concrete surfaces made the excursion entirely worthwhile. Thank you Tony DeEulio for sharing your experiences here that inspired me to go. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm a architecture student and I'm working with this great church. I found this article really interesting and If you have some more information I will be very gratefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it interesting. Most of what I gathered for this posting was from my tour and two online sources. The church's web site (http://www.bagsvaerdkirke.dk/index.php?id=107)and the Pritzker site (http://www.pritzkerprize.com/2003/bio). Its an amazing building and I would urge you to take a trip and see it for yourself!

      Delete
  2. It's a great building! For some more images:
    www.archipicture.ch

    ReplyDelete